Sunday, April 5, 2015

Quick Links - 04/05/2015

Hey everybody! Finally I got back to some reviews this week. So that's always good. And the majority of them I quite liked. Not all, unfortunately. But most. My search for good science fiction with some steamy bits continues. So yeah, here are my reviews!

Young Woman in a Garden: Stories by Delia Sherman (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - I quite enjoyed this collection of short fiction, which I would categorize as Gothic with a bit of a much-needed update. I love many of these stories, but some can be a little slow. Pacing aside, though, there is a great sense of dark and magic in these tales. Good times.

Collected Fictions by Jorge Luis Borges (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - Another book of stories that can be a little slow going at times. Though there are a number of very short pieces. And The Book of Sand is amazing. That entire collection is amazing. There's a lot here, though. Seriously, the book is huge. Worth reading, but maybe don't do them all at once like I did.

Last of the Sandwalkers by Jay Hosler (Goodreads, my score 4/5) - This is a great sciencey book about bugs and family and it is just rather amazing. I loved all the digs at young Earth theories and how the book comes down very firmly on the "recognize the scale of the universe" side of things. A great way of making a point, to basically say we're like bugs in the grand scheme of things. Much recommended.

Born of Night by Sherrilynn Kenyon (Goodreads, my score 2/5) - And then there was this one. I want to find some science fiction that also has some romantic elements and is fun but this was not it. Really, shouldn't the future have less unintended pregnancies? I was willing to forgive a lot in this book before it went completely off the rails. Probably give this one a miss.

Also, as I announced earlier this week, The Monthly Round is up at Nerds of a Feather. Great tasting and satisfying fiction and drink pairings. Go see!

But yeah, that's it for now. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment